Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Charleston, South Carolina

I have always wanted to visit Charleston, South Carolina. I thought after today I would be able to cross it off my bucket list. However, I was completely wrong. There is so much to do and see in the beautiful seaport town of Charleston. Needless to say, my bucket list has been updated to say "spend at least a week in Charleston".

Picture of the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge. Taken from the boardwalk. 

Maybe it is because I am bias, but being near the water was one of my favorite parts of the day. Going to the pier is a must see if you are in Charleston. I mean seriously, there is a gorgeous water view, delicious local restaurants, and historical sites. What else could you ask for?  Being near the ocean, the palm trees, and smelling the salt water in the air made me feel a little closer to home. We even had the opportunity to see dolphins in the water. The dolphins were sneaky and went underwater before I could capture a picture, but it was still really neat to see. 

We were able to view the water from a boardwalk area. The ocean alone was beautiful, but the area surrounding the walking path was scenic on its own. The walking area had two fountains nearby that provided a nice breeze from the sun. There were also palm trees in the area that really helped put on the finishing seaport touches.

 Above: One of the fountains near the water.
Above: The shady walkway near the water. 

There is more than just beautiful scenery near the pier. You can also see a few historical sites from the water. For starters, if you turn away from the water (I know it’s hard, why would you ever want to look away, but trust me) and face the street you are able to see the backside of the United States Custom House. The front side of the United States Customs House is located on East Bay Street. Looking at the architecture of the infrastructure makes you feel like you are looking back in time. The Custom House has been in use since its completion in 1879.

Above: Back of the United States Custom House

From the water, you are also able to see Castle Pinckney. For six weeks during the Civil War, this area was used as a Prisoner of War camp. The Castle is located one mile off the shore of Charleston. The area was originally a fort used in the 1797. Like many forts, it was designed to protect the city from a naval attack.


Above: Castle Pinckney 
 
Saying Charleston is a phenomenal city is an understatement. If you have not had the chance, you must make a point to visit this lovely city. If you have been there, chances are, you are ready to go back.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Megan. Charleston has been probably the highlight of the trip for me. The enitre city is just flooded with history. The pictures that you posted were great and show just how fascinating and interesting the city of Charleston is. It was neat to learn about the Custom House because that was one site that I missed. I look forward to the rest of your blogs :)

    ReplyDelete